Tuesday, October 31, 2017

To edit, or not to edit, that is the question:




I face a big dilemma - should the previous posts of this blog be edited or left untouched.

Why edit?

That's because more people (other than my close circle of family and friends) may wish to unearth the blog.

Why fantasize about more people reading your blog?

Well. That's because my debut book will soon be released by Rupa Publications.

So what?

The readers and critics might want to understand where I (the author) come from. And it is a natural expectation from all writers, big or small, old or new, that they have something more to share other than their book/s. Thus, this humble and sleepy little blog must be woken up to offer a glimpse into my past writings, should anyone bother to find out.

Okay. Got it. But, where's the dilemma?

What will they think? Will I not be found out through these cooing and gurgling baby posts? Most of these posts date back to the years 2009-11. These were my first feeble steps in the craft of writing. An editor's nightmare. Not that I claim to be any more accomplished as an author now, but hey! I can still do better than 2009 in 2017, no?

But then, here's what I still choose to do - no post-publish editing.

Why not edit?

That's because this blog is a journey, my journey. It would be unfair to try and change the itinerary once the actual travel has been completed this far. Although there's a lot more left.

Any attempt to hide the flaws and shortcomings of my early writings would reek of pretense:
  • to hide my non-literary background (I'll always be a hotelier first) 
  • to hide my struggles at writing stories
  • to dress up my vulnerabilities in an imagined poise
  • to understate the emotional mess I had made of my life back then 
  • to belittle the first few readers of this blog (who appreciated my writings and made it look possible for me to write longer stories)
  • to undermine the courage to bare my soul without the fear of getting judged  
Please make no mistake. This is not to underestimate the value of good story-editing and copy-editing that breathe life into roughly written manuscripts. I willingly submitted myself into the hands of the commissioning editors and copy editors in the process of creating my debut book.

But, not this one, eh!

Let me celebrate the flaws in my early writings along with my debut book readers. The blog is just too special.

5 comments:

  1. Writing is no doubt a journey....therefore early efforts are mere milestones. A great dilemma for you but am sure the book will be a better product therefore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I welcome your decision to leave the past itinerary unchanged. Some 'scars' if you want to call them so - are better left alone; in time they become a part of us and merge with our identities. So be it! Good luck for the new book. Look forward to savoring it when it hits the stands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is no doubt a journey....therefore early efforts are mere milestones. A great dilemma for you but am sure the book will be a better product therefore...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand a person could feel conscious about his earlier work which may not have the same finesse as one's current work but at the same time one's earlier work would reflect an innocence and freshness which the artist would at times want to reflect in his or her present work as well. So I would say it was a right decision after all.
    P.S. Will be good to know more about you through your earlier blogs... looking foward to reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to learn from the past. For the story to be authentic, the foundation must remain original. Love ur choice and love you too.

    ReplyDelete

The small town girl with big dreams (IWH Feature)

Glad to be featured on IWH - Indian Women in Hospitality , a platform for the Indian Women working in the Hospitality industry across the ...